Vitalia Apartments at 3090 S. Bascom is a five story over one level of below-grade parking mixed-use building with over 619 sq. ft. of commercial space and 79 units of affordable housing. 39 units are set aside for the formerly homeless as supportive housing. The development wraps around a south-facing courtyard, which creates two smaller wings near the residential neighborhood at the back of the building. The circulation elements, stairs, elevators, and ends of corridors, are recessed or accentuated to break up the building mass further.
The building frontage along South Bascom Avenue is broken up into three pieces. The mid-section, or bridging element, has a two-story lobby with a transparent art wall facing Bascom that connects to the courtyard beyond, providing a connection from S. Bascom and enlivening the street frontage. This bridge is two stories above the lobby with wood siding that wraps below and into the lobby. The entrance to the below-grade parking garage is on the south side of the lobby.
- Human scale massing at street
- Reduced visual massing from all sides
- The circulation elements break up the building mass further
- A large art glass wall that connects the street to the lobby and courtyard
- All electric building
- Extensive use of photovoltaic panels offsetting 75% of the residential load
- Drought tolerant landscaping
- Energy efficient appliances
- Client: Affirmed Housing Group
- Building size/acres: 75,000 sq.ft./ 0.64 acre
- Density: 79 units
- Construction est.: TBD