Block 9A, designed by VMWP and LPAS, is part of the ambitious plan to redevelop Candlestick Point, Phase I. The building marks a central point along Harney Way, a main commercial and transit artery into the site. The building’s NW corner emphasizes the termination of the planned Wedge Park, a highly active pedestrian space within the urban setting. Large retail storefronts alternate along Harney Way, to create a vibrant and enjoyable pedestrian experience. The residential entry along 8th street opens up to a double height lobby and amenity space. Spacious condos – 1, 2, and 3 bedroom units – feature ample natural light and views of the San Francisco Bay and City. Of these 124 units, 10% are planned as below market units (BMR). Resident parking is provided at grade. A large common courtyard provides shared open spaces and amenities. Townhouses along the mid-block break introduce a highly pedestrian atmosphere; stoops and landscape cascade toward the paved street, creating an alternating sequence of private and public spaces.
Block 9A was designed to reflect a sophisticated simplicity and become a reference point along a busy corridor. Through the simple use of materials and facade articulation, the building strengthens it’s immediate context, while providing a rich pedestrian experience.
- Strategic massing articulation, with large punched openings and accent materials
- Variety of scale and materiality, from formal commercial frontage to informal individual townhouse stoops
- Large interior courtyard, with shared amenities and various covered gathering spaces
- Spacious living units with ample light and views of the San Francisco Bay and City
- Climate appropriate landscape design and low impact stormwater treatment
- Solar PV ready and integrated Smart Metering system
- Dedicated recycling facility
- Building size/acres: 217,000 sq.ft./1.25 acre
- Density: 124 units (99 units/acre)