East Leland is a 63 unit affordable housing development with a mix of flats and townhouses in three story buildings with units ranging from one to four bedrooms. A variety of paths and landscaped areas are provided throughout the courtyards and the site in order to allow a mix of outdoor activities for adults and children. In addition, there is a day care facility, common laundry, classroom, community room and administrative offices totaling approximately 5,000 square feet.
Establish an urban street presence with the day care center, while maintaining a strong connection to the outdoors between the courtyards and the units through back porches and living spaces.
To develop a long and narrow 3 acre infill site with approximately 60 units and a licensed day care facility, within a restrictive budget.
- Individual ground level entries with private and semi-private front porches
- Pedestrian scale street frontage
- Interconnected courtyards with pedestrian pathways; play structure dedicated to day care
- Direct unit access to common courtyards
- Stormwater management
- Solar powered attic fans
- Linoleum, wheat boards, low VOC materials & paints
- Drought tolerant plants
- Energy Star appliances
- Low flow plumbing fixtures
- Formaldehyde free insulation
- Building size/acres: 78,000 sq.ft./ 3 acres
- Density: 63 units/ 21 dua
- Completion: May 2009