The mixed-use Montbello FreshLo Hub building redevelops an infill 1.6 acre former RTD bus storage site, that is adjacent to commercial, residential, healthcare and open space uses. The 7 story structure consists of 5 levels of 97 units of family affordable housing sitting on top of two levels of a fresh food grocery.
The above dynamic program engages NE Denver’s Montbello community on many important fronts providing for local, entrepreneur provided, fresh food grocery in a district considered a “food desert”; a series of community-oriented spaces for gatherings, meetings, pop-up retail, and community offices; as well as a critical local need for affordable family housing. Montbello FreshLo is designed to achieve not just multiple community benefits, but also achieve a National Green Building Standard Silver Rating with a full focus on Health and Wellness.
The $40,000,000 Montbello FreshLo Hub project financing synthesizes Low Income Housing Tax Credits with New Market Tax Credits in concert with local City of Denver funding. This project is a partnership between Roybal Architects and VMWP, collaborating with the client team of the Montbello Organizing Committee and Burgess Services.
- Podium courtyard
- 2-level fresh food grocery store
- Diet & nutrition center
- Education center
- Street-level retail
- Community use space
- Black Box theater
- Garage/surface parking
- Client: Montbello Organizing Committee and FLO Development Services
- Building size/acres: 183,059 sq.ft./1.6 acres
- Density: 62 du/ac, 97 units
- Dwelling Units: 97
- 1 Bed: (590 sq.ft. Avg.) 49 (50%)
- 2 Bed: (955sq.ft. Avg.) 33 (34%)
- 3 Bed: (1,176 sq.ft. Avg.) 15 (16%) Grocery: 17,598 sq.ft.
- Retail: 2,879 sq.ft.
- Theater: 4,223 sq.ft.
- Theater Office: 4,627 sq.ft.
- Community Office: 2,086 sq.ft. Parking Provided: 160
- Off-street surface: 52
- Basement garage: 108