For Palo Alto’s Zoning Ordinance Update, VMWP developed context-based design codes for the California Avenue Pedestrian and Transit-Oriented Overlay Zone and the Palo Alto Mixed-Use Overlay Zone. The Context-Based Design Code incorporates innovative zoning techniques and a “form-based”, design-oriented approach through the development of building and site planning design prototypes. The Context-Based Design Guidelines for the PTOD Overlay District for California Avenue and the Mixed-Use Zoning Regulations provide developers and the city with key guidelines to ensure development meets the needs of Palo Alto.
Create overlay zones that allow for increased density and mixed-use buildings that respond to and enhance existing neighborhood contexts.
Update Palo Alto’s zoning ordinance through overlay zones that allow for mixed-use buildings and increased density in an appropriate and responsible way that enhances neighborhood character and walkability.
- Innovative context-based design guidelines to mitigate increased density
- Pedestrian focused design guidelines
- Multi-acre design guidelines
- Emphasizes the importance of creating walkable, pedestrian-oriented neighborhoods
- Encourages green building design principles
- Encourages increasing density along transit corridors and in mixed-use neighborhoods