This new mixed-use senior center, located on the corner of Third and Brooks Street, will provide affordable housing to low and very low-income seniors. The building integrates high quality amenities including a community room, residential courtyard for gatherings and gardening, a computer center and exercise room, central laundry facility, and roof decks. The first and second floors house Whistlestop’s extensive services program for the Marin Senior Community, providing meeting rooms, classrooms, service offices and some medical services as part of its Healthy Aging Campus.
Vivalon (formerly Whistlestop) has partnered with Eden Housing to help realize their vision for a new facility that will include 67 units of onsite affordable senior housing to complement its Healthy Aging Campus. This new development will allow a highly respected and admired local non-profit organization to continue serving Marin County seniors and become a symbol of San Rafael’s commitment to their seniors.
To develop a vibrant and inviting residential community with supportive services for seniors, easily served by transit.
- Residents’ courtyard
- Two roof decks with views of San Rafael and Mt. Tam
- Green walls at the stair towers
- Contemporary design with traditional building form
- Extensive use of photovoltaic panels to offset energy use
- Solar thermal hot water system
- Energy efficient appliances
- Recycled materials with low VOC content
- Reduced irrigation water use
- GreenPoint Rated
- Car-free community with direct transit access
- Client: Vivalon (formerly Whistlestop) & EDEN Housing
- Site Area: 15,000 sq. ft.
- Building size: 74,821 sq. ft.
- Density: 67 units – 194 DU/A
- Completion: Anticipated 2021
- Construction est.: $28 M