The Gallery at Belmar Apartments is located within the award-winning Belmar town center, a redevelopment of a former regional shopping mall in Lakewood, Colorado. The goal was to build this 1.3 acre block to serve as a transition between the active ‘downtown’ mixed-use blocks and the passive residential townhouse blocks of Belmar. 66 units of “attainable” garden court apartments for the workforce of Belmar are woven into 4 buildings of 2 & 3 story walkup apartments. Cars are hidden from public view behind buildings in a parking court. A central green court passage connects this block to the mixed use blocks to the west and the residential blocks to the east. Both the green passage as well as the street frontages are lined with direct entry front porches of the raised ground floor dwelling units accentuating the pedestrian oriented urbanism of Belmar.
The Gallery at Belmar Apartments were envisioned as affordable family rental units in a new pedestrian-focused urban environment.
- Individual articulation of the massing of residential components
- Pedestrian greenway connecting commercial to residential sector
- CNU Charter Award 2006
- ULI Award for Excellence 2006
- EPA Award for Smart Growth Achievement 2005
- Client: Continuum Partners
- Building size/acres: 60,000 sq.ft. / 1.3 acres
- Number of units–density: 66 units – 51 du/ac
- Completion: Summer 2005