The Veterans Village is a 66 unit affordable housing community in Colma, California. Situated between Cypress Lawn and Holy Cross cemeteries along Mission Road, the project is a new three story residential building and the preservation of the historic pump building for use by residents. The project program includes resident amenities such as a social hall, craft area, and bicycle storage. The project includes two large residential courtyards, and a large resident open space that includes raised bed garden areas, an orchard, and a fenced dog run. For the wider community, a new interpretation plaza is included. 69 parking spaces are provided through two parking areas, one adjacent to Cypress Lawn Cemetery and another along the BART access road behind the garden area.
The Veterans Village project aims to develop a lively, affordable housing community. The project hopes to encourage residents’ living environment and social interactions through outdoor gardens as well as preserving and transforming the historical pump building into a community space.
To develop a vibrant and inviting affordable housing community with supportive services for its residents, which is easily served by transit.
- Renovate historic pump house to be used as common area
- Spacious community garden and resident courtyards
- Architecture responds to light industrial context and historical pump house
- Public interpretation plaza which displays the area’s history
- Client: Mercy Housing
- Building size/acres: 56,000 sq.ft./ 2.2 acre
- Density: 66 units
- Winner in the Special-Needs Category of Affordable Housing Finance’s 2020 Readers’ Choice Award